A combination of traditional yoga poses, pilates and dance with the use of a hammock, aerial yoga defies gravity and allows you to perform various yoga poses that may be difficult to do on the ground, but easier in mid-air. It’s fun and acrobatic. We welcome all size and ages to come try aerial.
Here are the Top 10 Health Benefits of Aerial Yoga:
- Total body workout: Due to the nature of aerial yoga movements, almost all the body parts are forced to move and stretch. Muscles are toned and redefined, and joints are regenerated and strengthened due to these movements.
- Psychologically beneficial: Just like almost any other workout, aerial yoga helps rebuild your emotional system because it clears the mind and relieves stress due to its meditative state. It also helps you combat stress throughout the day and increases your creativity, which leads you to develop your own artistic skills.
- Improves flexibility: Aerial yoga helps you to move more freely, with less effort, by counteracting gravity. Suspension in the air releases tension on the bones and muscles, increasing flexibility and deepening your practice. Suspended yoga strengthens core muscles and increases spinal and shoulder flexibility.
- Heals back problems: It gives you the chance to hang freely, allowing your spine to lengthen. With less strain on your back while doing the exercises, it eases tension in the spinal cord and hip joint, helping you feel better.
- Increases strength: Aerial yoga improves strength and flexibility, which carries over into other daily activities. The core workout is a beneficial cross-training, as it helps runners increase stamina and be able recover faster.
- Puts you in a great mood: Another key benefit of doing aerial yoga is that it gets your adrenaline going while going against gravity. It also releases “happy” hormones like serotonin, endorphins, oxytocin, dopamine, which boost your mood and help you feel more energetic.
- Improves balance: While going against gravity can be exciting, aerial yoga also helps with balance and stability in daily activities. Balance is a key component in daily activities, and aerial yoga helps maintain a good balance both inside and out.
- Aids digestion: The different types of stretches and movements help improve the digestive system, thus helping in healing various digestion-related issues, including constipation and indigestion.
- Old age and heart disease: Aerial yoga improves the circulation of blood, thus combating aging and its symptoms. Aerial yoga also helps detoxify the circulatory and lymphatic systems, which lowers the onset of various cardiovascular issues.
- Improves memory: Aerial yoga fortifies your neural connections, thereby, rendering better memory power. In a way, practicing aerial yoga can make you smarter!
NOT SAFE FOR: Glaucoma, Heart conditions, Pregnancy, Epilepsy, Traumatic Brain Injury, High Blood Pressure, Vertigo, TIA, Neck or Spinal Injury -- Consult with your Dr if you have medical conditions before starting an Aerial Yoga practice.
What is Aerial Yoga?
Aerial Yoga is the practice of yoga poses incorporating a soft fabric hammock. It is suspended off the ground. The hammock is a prop, just like a strap or block, intended to assist alignment and provide the immediate benefit of spinal decompression. With the weight of the body partially or fully supported along with the help of gravity, we can explore and create space in the body. Without the compression of the joints and spine we can achieve proper posture and alignment.
How do I Prepare for Class?
Do not use hand lotion, wear jewelry, belts, or clothing with grommets, gems, or anything that could potentially snag the fabric. Avoid very baggy clothing and wear a short sleeve shirt as deodorant stains the hammocks.
Please trim your finger and toenails so there are no jagged edges. Avoid eating or drinking acidic liquids an hour prior to class
Mary Ann Renzelli-ACE group ex certified, NASM personal trainer certified, 200 hr Registered Yoga Teacher and 40 hour Aerial Trained at Yoga On York Baltimore Md.
Elvira Berry - 200 RYT Certified, Yoga Fit certified Level 1, 2 and 40 hour Aerial Trained at Yoga on York Baltimore Md.
CALL for more information 304 641 6827